Honda Grom. Small, Slow And Tons of Fun


It looks like a toy. The Grom is so small, cars have driven into the shoulder to pass me, even though I was moving at speed with traffic. I can only assume the size of the bike made them think it was more of a toy than a "real" motorcycle. Twice, police cars followed me a while to run the tag, presumably, to make sure the bike is legit for the road. One officer shook his head at me before speeding off.

The Honda Grom is on the right
  • Easy to steal. When parking the bike in the city, I feel I chain and lock it to the lamppost. I didn't like having it out of sight for too long, fearing some able-bodied, malicious-minded person would lift it up, drop it in a pickup and take off. Yes, it's really that light.
  •  No cargo space. If you are considering this bike as an economy commuter over a scooter, one thing to keep in mind is storage. Most scooters have ample space under the seat. The Grom has none. So if you want to do some quick grocery shopping, bring a backpack. However, from a pure riding perspective, the Grom will feel much more stable at speed and it will take corners better.
  •  If you want a commuter for longer trips on high-speed roads, you'll need to look at something with a bigger engine. It's a great bike to learn on and at around $3,000 new, it's not likely to break your bank. American Honda says it chose the name Grom because it means a young surfer and fit the lifestyle and intent of the bike. The Grom is offered in red and black, and several after-market parts are already available.

Few streetbikes are as accessible to the beginner while simultaneously tickling an advanced rider’s funnybone. I know I’m sort of an old dude because when the Grom speaks to me it sounds like Jeff Spicoli, the laid-back surf dude in the ’80s classic Fast Times at Ridgemont High: “Hey Bud, let’s party!”
But no matter your age, the Grom is ready for fun.

0 comments:

Post a Comment